Fr. Mcdyer’s Folk Village Museum

GLEANN CHOLM CILLE / GLENCOLMCILLE

The folk museum was established in 1967.  Fr. James McDyer, who moved to Gleann Cholm Cille in 1951, was one of the driving forces behind its establishment in order to promote local cottage industries and to provide better facilities in the parish.  AnCláchán is built in the form of a village with reconstructed dwellings from the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries as well as the nineteenth-century Dooey School House.  Each building contains artifacts and exhibits relevant to the appropriate time period.  The Folk Village has recently opened two new exhibition houses: a traditional pub/grocers/shoemakers and a fisherman’s cottage which is dedicated to the history of fishing in Gleann Cholm Cille.

Website:  http://www.glenfolkvillage.com